Summary of Qualifications
- Mathew Byrne is an well-rounded professional developer and designer with over five years experience developing and maintaining a variety of rich web applications for small to medium sized businesses. Mathew’s specialities include lateral approach to solving problems, crafting and implementing software solutions and effectively communicating technical ideas.
- Completed a BA in Computer Science at RMIT, Melbourne in 2007.
- Experienced in developing web applications with PHP, particularly using the Zend Framework. Good working knowledge of other platforms such as Wordpress, Code Igniter and symfony.
- Disciplined in the use of Source Control with Subversion and git. Very familiar with various build and deployment systems, particularly phing for PHP.
- Well versed in a variety of OS and environments with a preference for Mac OS X and a command line shell.
- Proficient in Python, bash and zsh scripting, Java, C, C++, Perl and C#.
JB Interactive, Melbourne
Director, September 2006 – Present
- Part-owned and operated a small web consulting company building web solutions for small to medium sized businesses, primarily located in the Melbourne area.
- Broad range of responsibilities including web application development, discovering requirements and specifications with clients and managing up to four concurrent staff members.
- Worked on over a dozen significant web projects, using an internally developed, common set of components built on top of the Zend Framework.
- Developed and implemented internal processes for version control, project management, issue and bug tracking and application deployment.
Major Projects at JB Interactive
Selector — http://selector.com/
- Developed a large scale web application using PHP with the Zend Framework and MySQL with a custom ORM layer serving 80,000 unique visitors per month.
- Implemented a robust asset storage system for the large quantity of images and video being served. Integrated this system opaquely into existing frameworks.
- Built a Mobile site alongside the existing desktop site using the same underlying architecture and infrastructure. Used advanced CSS3 effects and animations to improve the mobile user experience, and take advantage of specific platforms.
JB Interactive — http://jbinteractive.com.au/
- Business web-site for JB Interactive designed to showcase our work in a interesting, functional way to prospective clients.
- Built a secure credit card payment system using PHP to interface with the eway payment gateway’s XML API.
- Used the Google Maps API to include custom mapping widgets.
DUSA Bookshop — http://dusabookshop.com.au/
- Worked with Deakin University Student Association to build a user-friendly interface that integrated with their existing, third-party POS system.
- Created a rich, jQuery driven interface enabling Bookshop employees to administrate content on the website.
- Used the Twitter API to display current tweets on the homepage from the Bookshops feed.
Tutor, July–November 2006
- Taught classes of undergraduate students in concepts of modern operating system design and implementation. This required being able to effectively communicate complex ideas to students, many of who spoke english as a secondary language.
National Australia Bank, Melbourne
Student Intern, January–February 2006
- Worked in a team-oriented, corporate environment for a six week summer internship, during which work was done on an internal reporting tool for the data management division.